Poisonous gas in water well kills 3 of a family


LASHKARGAH (PAN): Three members of a family died after inhaling a poisonous gas and smoke produced by a power generator the family used to fetch water from a well in their home in southern Helmand province, officials said on Monday.

The deaths in Lashkargah's Baba Jee area occurred on Sunday when a girl descended the small well to turn off the generator, but she died after inhaling the poisonous  gas accumulated in the well, the governor’s spokesman, Omar Zhwak, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

As her mother and a brother entered the well to rescue her, they also died of the gas, he said. Two neighours who tried to retrieve the dead also fell unconscious but stayed alive after they were rescued by police informed by residents.

"My family members died due to the accumulation of smoke produced by the power generator, said Khan Agha.

He said his neighbours who fell ill were taken to a hospital and were in stable condition.

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

Give us a call on +93 20 220 1814