Friday, April 4, 2025

Illegal mining continues in Khost

KHOST CITY (PAN): Authorities have failed to prevent the smuggling of precious stones from chromite mines in southeastern Khost province, an official has admitted.

Eng. Laiq, the director of the mining department, said smuggling from mines in Tanai district to Pakistans port city of Karachi and China had been going on for several years.

A private security company had been employed, with 300 guards, but had not been able to stop the smuggling, he said.

At least six guards had been killed in clashes with the Taliban over the past few years, he said.

A resident of the district, who did not want to be named, told Pajhwok Afghan News that locals were smuggling the stones. He said people were poor and had no other means to support their families.

Muhammad Aslam, another resident of Tanai, said those doing the smuggling sometimes paid with their lives. He said the smugglers often fought with Afghan security officials, thieves and the Taliban.

When contacted for comment, the provincial governor, Abdul Jabbar Naeemi, admitted large-scale smuggling of chromites from the area. He said he had taken charge as governor of the province only two months ago, but was struggling to overcome the problems. He said police had confiscated several truck loads of chromites and the process would continue. Many people believe that if the government stopped the smuggling and started to sell the stones, it could earn more revenue and help improve the economy.

Jawad Omar, a spokesman for the Ministry of Mines and Minerals, said the government owned the mines and had directed all security organisations to protect the assets.

He said the government was planning to offer a tender up for the lease of the mines which would not only increase revenue but provide jobs to people in the area.

Link: http://ow.ly/qXxE6

© Your Site Name. All Rights Reserved. Designed by HTML Codex